Download Understanding Positive and Negative Integers Worksheets
Looking for the best way to teach students about Understanding Positive and Negative Integers?
This premium worksheet bundle contains 10 activities to challenge your students and help them understand Positive and Negative Integers.
Not ready to purchase a subscription yet? Click here to download a sample of this worksheet pack.
Positive and negative integers or numbers only differ in signs. The positive integer has a plus sign or it simply has no sign. On the other hand, the negative integer has a minus sign before the number.
Positive and negative integers are not just used in simple math operations, it can also be used in real-life situations. The temperature is one of the applications of the lesson.
Zero is neither positive nor negative.
- A number is positive if the number is above zero.
- Positive numbers are written with no sign or a “+” sign in front of them.
- They are counted up from zero to the right on a number line.
- A number is negative if the number is below zero.
- Negative numbers are always written with a “-” sign in front of them.
- They are counted down from zero to the left on a number line.
Positive numbers get higher the further we move to the right, so 5 is more than 2. Negative numbers get lower the further we move to the left, so -5 is less than -2.
The temperature at 3:00 PM was 15 degrees. At midnight the temperature was -2 degrees. What’s the difference between those two temperatures?
- As you can see in the real life situation above, there is a presence of a positive integer (15 degrees) and a negative integer (-2 degrees).
To solve this, just simply count the distance of the higher value or number from the lower value. In this case: 15 is 15 units from zero and -2 is two units from zero. Thus, the total distance is 17 units. The difference of the two temperature is 17 degrees.
Understanding Positive and Negative Integers Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about Understanding Positive and Negative Integers across 15+ in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Common core aligned Grade 6 Math worksheets.
Each ready to use worksheet collection includes 10 activities and an answer guide. Not teaching common core standards? Don’t worry! All our worksheets are completely editable so can be tailored for your curriculum and target audience.
Click any of the example images below to view a larger version.