Download Adding Numbers within 1000 Using the Base 10 Blocks Worksheets
Click the button below to get instant access to these premium worksheets for use in the classroom or at a home.
This worksheet can be edited by Premium members using the free Google Slides online software. Click the Edit button above to get started.
In adding two or more numbers containing two to three digits, a concept known as base ten blocks may serve as a useful guide for students beginning to learn basic addition.
- Addition is a fundamental arithmetic operation that means “to put together”. The result when two or more numerical values are added together is called sum.
- Base ten blocks, also known as multibase arithmetic blocks, is a mathematical concept that aims to group numbers in tens.
Before you get to use the base ten blocks, you should first be familiar with place value.
- Place value is basically the value represented by each digit in a number. This is applicable to numbers containing two or more digits.
- The place value of a digit is determined by its place. From the rightmost to the leftmost digit, the place value is named as ones, tens, hundreds, thousands, ten thousands, and so on. See the examples below for better understanding.
Since we’ll be dealing with base ten blocks, digits in hundreds place will be represented with 10 pieces of base ten blocks. This will be more elaborated on the following discussions.
In making the model of base ten numeration, we draw blocks. But, we cannot just draw blocks individually because it will be hard to count them one by one
There are organized figures representing digits located in tens and hundreds and they are named as follows:
- Rod – composed of ten copies of blocks piled up in a straight row. This is used to represent digits in the tens place value. 1 rod = 10 blocks
- Flat – represents ten rods placed side to side forming a square with 10 by 10 tiles. This is used to represent digits in the hundreds place value. 1 flat = 100 blocks
Basically, the digits placed in ones, tens and hundreds are the indicators of the number of individual blocks, rods and flats, respectively, in order to illustrate a two- or three- digit number.2 sides are long and 2 sides are shorter
In order to add numbers using the base ten blocks, the following steps should be followed.
STEP 1: Illustrate the given numbers to be added as base ten blocks.
STEP 2: Count how many flats, rods and blocks were made when they were put together.
STEP 3: If the individual blocks in the sum is greater than or equal to 10, turn the 10 blocks into 1 rod. The same thing shall be done if the resulting rods is 10 or above: turn the 10 rods into 1 flat.
Adding Numbers within 1000 Using the Base 10 Blocks Worksheets2-D and 3-D Shapes Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about adding numbers within 1000 using the base 10 blocks across 15+ in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Common core aligned Grade 3 Math worksheets.
Each ready to use worksheet collection includes 10 activities and an answer guide. Not teaching common core standards? Don’t worry! All our worksheets are completely editable so can be tailored for your curriculum and target audience.
Click any of the example images below to view a larger version.