The Fractions Lesson explained above is aligned with the standard 5NF01 from the Common Core Standards For Mathematics (see the shortened extract below). The resources below are also aligned to this standard.
Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum or difference of fractions with like denominators. For example, 2/3 + 5/4 = 8/12 + 15/12 = 23/12. (In general, a/b + c/d = (ad + bc)/bd.)
- Adding Fractions Graphically
- Adding Fractions (different denominator) e.g. 2/3 + 1/4
- Adding Mixed Numbers (different denominator) e.g. 5 1/8 + 6 2/5
- Subtracting Fractions (different denominator) e.g. 2/3 – 1/4
- Subtracting Mixed Numbers (different denominator) e.g. 6 1/8 – 6 2/5
This resource is available for re-use under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. More details and source files here