Download Number Lines and Coordinate Planes Worksheets
Click the button below to get instant access to these premium worksheets for use in the classroom or at a home.
This worksheet can be edited by Premium members using the free Google Slides online software. Click the Edit button above to get started.
Number line is a representation of points correspond to the real numbers based on their distance in a positive or negative direction from a point arbitrarily taken as zero. Coordinate plane, on the other hand, is the combination of two intersecting number lines at the origin.
Positive Numbers – These are the numbers in blue. They are positioned on the right side of 0.
Negative Numbers – These are the numbers in red. They are positioned on the left side of 0.
THE COORDINATE PLANE
- It is named after the French mathematician Rene Descartes.
- It is defined by two perpendicular number lines: the x-axis, which is horizontal, and the y-axis, which is vertical.
- Through these axes, we can describe or locate any point in the plane using an ordered pair of numbers.
- X – axis is the horizontal number line of the cartesian/coordinate plane. It contains the x-values of the coordinates.
- Y – axis is the vertical number line of the cartesian/coordinate plane. It contains the y-values of the coordinates.
- Origin is the intersection of the two number lines. Its coordinates are (0, 0).
- Points are plotted on the cartesian plane. It has coordinates.
- Coordinates tell the location of a point in the plane. It is given by a pair of numbers enclosed in parentheses: (x ,y). The first number x gives the point’s horizontal position and the second number y gives its vertical position.
- The coordinate plane has four equal divisions formed by the two intersecting axed and the origin called quadrants.
- In Quadrant I, both the x- and y-coordinates are positive;
- In Quadrant II, the x-coordinate is negative, but the y-coordinate is positive;
- In Quadrant III both are negative; and
- In Quadrant IV x is positive but y is negative.
Interpreting Number Lines and Coordinate Planes Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about Number Lines and Coordinate Planes Worksheets across 15+ in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Common core aligned Grade 6 Math worksheets.
Each ready to use worksheet collection includes 10 activities and an answer guide. Not teaching common core standards? Don’t worry! All our worksheets are completely editable so can be tailored for your curriculum and target audience.
Click any of the example images below to view a larger version.