Download the Understanding Dependent and Independent Variables Worksheets
Looking for the best way to teach students about dependent and independent variables?
This premium worksheet bundle contains 10 activities to challenge your students and help them understand dependent and independent variables.
An equation is a mathematical way of representing the relationship between concepts or items. These concepts or items are represented by what are called variables. Variables can be dependent or independent.
- A variable is a quantity that may vary.
- It is widely used within the context of a mathematical problem or scientific experiment.
- Normally, we use a single letter to represent a variable.
- The letters x, y, and z are common generic symbols used for variables.
- These are not affected by another variable.
- Independent variables represent the “input” values of a function These are commonly denoted as x.
- They are sometimes called the “argument” of the function.
- These are influenced by another variable.
- Dependent variables represent the “output” value of a function, and are commonly denoted as y.
- They are sometimes called the “value” of the function.
Mrs. Potter is a renowned botanist. She found out that an additional gram of fertilizer results to a 1.25 cm growth of her plant experiment. Look at the plant’s record.
|Amount of fertilizer in gram|
|Plants growth in cm|
Independent variable: amount of fertilizer
Dependent variable: plant’s growth
Understanding Dependent and Independent Variables Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about Understanding Dependent and Independent Variables across 15+ in-depth pages. These are ready-to-use Common core aligned Grade 6 Math worksheets.
Each ready to use worksheet collection includes 10 activities and an answer guide. Not teaching common core standards? Don’t worry! All our worksheets are completely editable so can be tailored for your curriculum and target audience.
Click any of the example images below to view a larger version.
Worksheet Activities Included
- What Do Professionals Say?
- Working with the Professionals
- Helping Engr. Phelps
- Appointment with Dr. Grey
- Let’s Meet Architect Sullivan
- Solving Crimes with the Police Officers
- Gameplay with Coach Phil
- The Hardworking Businessman
- Mr. Clark’s Trend
- Say Hi to Dr. Murray