HelpingWithMath.com previously featured a number of short games produced by the BBC. These games have been superseded by the game shown below – Guardians: Defenders of Mathematica. It has several “battles” including ones involving place value, addition & subtraction, multiplication & division, fractions, decimals, algebra, measurement, shapes, and statistics. Click here and visit the BBC website to explore and play the game.
Copyright BBC Bitesize
BBC Bitesize resourcesunsurprisingly use UK English. Be aware of any differences that may apply to your children. e.g. 120 is spoken as “one hundred and twenty” as opposed to “one hundred twenty”. This said, the large majority of the featured battles have universal application.
The resources listed below are aligned to the same standard, (3NBT02) re: Common Core Standards For Mathematics as the Addition and subtraction game shown above.
Fluently add and subtract within 1000 using strategies and algorithms based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- 2-digit + 1-digit – no regrouping e.g. 34 + 5
- 2-digit + 2-digit – no regrouping e.g. 42 + 36
- 2 digit – 1 digit (no regrouping) e.g. 38 – 5
- 2 digit – 2 digit (no regrouping) e.g. 48 – 36
Math Games From The BBC
Third/ Fourth Grade
- 3-digit – 2-digit numbers e.g. 145 – 52
- 3-digit – 2-digit numbers e.g. 145 – 57
- 3-digit – 3-digit numbers e.g. 345 – 167
- 3-digit sums e.g. 45 + 82
- 3-digit sums (carrying tens) e.g. 68 + 56
Similar to the above listing, the resources below are aligned to related standards in the Common Core For Mathematics that together support the following learning outcome:
Use place value understanding and properties of operations to perform multi-digit arithmetic
- Multiplying By Multiples of 10 (From Example/Guidance)
- How To Round To The Nearest 10 (From Example/Guidance)
- Rounding Numbers To The Nearest Hundred (From Example/Guidance)
- Multiplying by Multiples of 10 (e.g. 50 x 7) (From Worksheet)
- Multiplication Bingo (with multiples of 10) (From Worksheet)
- Rounding to the Nearest 10 & 100 To the nearest 10 and/ or 100 (From Worksheet)
- Rounding numbers to nearest 10 (From Worksheet)
- Rounding numbers to nearest 100 (From Worksheet)