The various resources listed below are aligned to the same standard, (5MD05) taken from the CCSM (Common Core Standards For Mathematics) as the Geometry Worksheet shown above.
Relate volume to the operations of multiplication and addition and solve real world and mathematical problems involving volume.
- Find the volume of a right rectangular prism with whole-number side lengths by packing it with unit cubes, and show that the volume is the same as would be found by multiplying the edge lengths, equivalently by multiplying the height by the area of the base. Represent threefold whole-number products as volumes, e.g., to represent the associative property of multiplication.
- Apply the formulas V = l x w x h and V = b x h for rectangular prisms to find volumes of right rectangular prisms with whole-number edge lengths in the context of solving real world and mathematical problems.
- Recognize volume as additive. Find volumes of solid figures composed of two non-overlapping right rectangular prisms by adding the volumes of the non-overlapping parts, applying this technique to solve real world problems.
- Finding Volume in Cubic Units – rectangular prisms and composites
Similar to the above listing, the resources below are aligned to related standards in the Common Core For Mathematics that together support the following learning outcome:
Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition
- 3D Geometric shapes (From Example/Guidance)
- How To Calculate Volume (From Example/Guidance)