Comparing Fractions (New Year's Day Themed) Worksheets
Looking for the best way to teach students about Comparing Fractions?
This premium worksheet bundle contains 10 activities to challenge your students and help them understand Comparing Fractions.
- Fractions represent equal parts of a whole or a collection of it.
- Like fractions are fractions whose denominators are the same.
- Unlike fractions are fractions whose denominators are alike.
- Two fractions are equivalent fractions when they represent the same part of a whole.
COMPARING LIKE FRACTIONS
When comparing parts of whole, numerators (or both numerators and denominators) are considered. In either comparing or ordering fractions, the processes are much easier to be done with like/similar fractions than with the unlike/dissimilar ones.
- In similar fractions, since the denominators are the same, you just have to look into the numerators.
- The bigger the numerator equates to bigger fractions, only if they have equivalent denominators.
- Ordering fractions of equal denominators only require arranging the numerators, imagining that they are whole numbers.
COMPARING UNLIKE FRACTIONS
Meanwhile, in unlike/dissimilar fractions, there are still two cases: the one with similar numerator and the one with dissimilar numerators. Dissimilar fractions with similar numerators are easier to compare and order than the other kind.
- If two dissimilar fractions have the same numerator, it can easily be said that the one containing the larger value of denominator is smaller, because containing higher value of denominator means that an object is cut into smaller parts.
Comparing Fractions Worksheets
This is a fantastic bundle which includes everything you need to know about Comparing Fractions across 15+ in-depth pages.
Each ready to use worksheet collection includes 10 activities and an answer guide. Not teaching common core standards? Don’t worry! All our worksheets are completely editable so can be tailored for your curriculum and target audience.
Click any of the example images below to view a larger version.
Worksheet Activities Included
Ages 7-8 (Basic)
- The Lunar Calendar
- Kung Hei Fat Choi
- Lucky Decorations
- The Fortune Cookie
- Booming Firecrackers
Ages 8-9 (Advanced)
- Yin-Yang Equation
- A Chinese Feast
- Lion Dance
- Drum and Gong
- The Beautiful Chinese Lanterns