The above lesson includes audio (so remember to switch on your speakers). Use the play/ pause button if you need to stop and start the lesson. This fraction lesson is number 3 of 6 and looks at common denominators and how they are very useful when adding, subtracting, or comparing fractions.
Related Fractions Lessons
The Fractions Lesson explained above is aligned with the standard 4NF02 from the Common Core Standards For Mathematics (see the shortened extract below). The resources below are also aligned to this standard.
Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators, e.g., by creating common denominators or numerators, or by comparing to a benchmark fraction such as 1/2. Recognize that comparisons are valid only when the two fractions refer to the same whole. Record the results of comparisons with symbols >, =, or <, and justify the conclusions, e.g., by using a visual fraction model.
- Comparing Fractions (3 of 4) – ordering sets of three and four fractions
Similar to the above listing, the resources below are aligned to related standards in the Common Core For Mathematics that together support the following learning outcome:
Extend understanding of fraction equivalence and ordering
- Understanding equivalent fractions (From Example/Guidance)
- How to simplify fractions (From Example/Guidance)
- Equivalent Fraction Cards #1 (matching equivalent fractions. e.g. 4/10 = 2/5) (From Activity)
- Equivalent Fraction Cards #2 (matching equivalent fractions. e.g. 6/15 = 2/5 – slightly harder) (From Activity)
- Reducing Fractions – Simplest Form e.g. 6/12 = 1/2 (From Worksheet)
- Equivalent Fractions (3 of 3) (From Worksheet)
- Equivalent Fractions (1 of 3) e.g. 1/3 = 3/9 (From Worksheet)
- Equivalent Fractions (2 of 3) e.g. 9/3 = 1/3 (From Worksheet)
- Comparing Fractions (1 of 4) – two fractions – includes with fraction bar (From Worksheet)
- Comparing Fractions (2 of 4) – using common denominators (From Worksheet)
- Matching Equivalent Fractions (From Game)
- Target Equivalent Fractions (From Game)