The above lesson includes audio (so remember to switch on your speakers). Use the play/ pause button if you need to stop and start the lesson. This fraction lesson is number 4 of 6 and shows how to add and subtract fractions. It shows how equivalent fractions with common denominators are found before adding or subtracting..
Related Fractions Lessons
The Fractions Lesson explained above is aligned with the standard 5NF01 from the Common Core Standards For Mathematics (see the shortened extract below). The resources below are also aligned to this standard.
Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum or difference of fractions with like denominators. For example, 2/3 + 5/4 = 8/12 + 15/12 = 23/12. (In general, a/b + c/d = (ad + bc)/bd.)
- Adding Fractions Graphically
- Adding Fractions (different denominator) e.g. 2/3 + 1/4
- Adding Mixed Numbers (different denominator) e.g. 5 1/8 + 6 2/5
- Subtracting Fractions (different denominator) e.g. 2/3 – 1/4
- Subtracting Mixed Numbers (different denominator) e.g. 6 1/8 – 6 2/5